Monday, August 15, 2011

Good Book Alert - Bastard Blue

Today's a quickie-post, but I'm poking my head out of the revising cave to tell  you about a really great book that's just become available for Kindle.

It's Bastard Blue by my friend and Mobile (Ala.) native, Murray Dunlap. Here's the link, it's $3.99, so seriously, you can't afford not to get it. Unless you don't have a Kindle. But then you can download it on Kindle for PC... (Okay, here's the link for the hardcover edition.)

Anyway, I've only read the introduction and the first few pages, but already I want to read the story this narrator is prepared to tell.

Murray's accomplished one of those tricks great writers in the South are known for. He's created a distinct voice that is so evocative of the region. Having grown up in so-La., and then lived in so-Ala. for seven  years, I can literally see this character.

I met Murray when I was assigned to write a feature story about him for the Baldwin Register last year. He's an accomplished writer who just happened to be almost killed a few years ago in a car crash.

He suffered a traumatic brain injury, lost the ability to walk for a while, had to relearn how to speak, the works. But he didn't lose his talent.

Here's the link to his website; you can read his inspiring survival story at your leisure. But get his book. It's amazing.

Now, I'm back in the cave. Til Thursday~ <3

24 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

I'm already familiar with this and DO plan to buy it! :o) Go Murray!

Sarah said...

Wow, what amazing stories--both the novel and the author's! Thanks for introducing us to Murray.

Talli Roland said...

Sounds incredible! Off to check it out now!

DEZMOND said...

word "Bastard" in the title? I love it when you talk dirty, Leigh :PPPP

Old Kitty said...

I too was caught by the Bastard in the title!! Yay!!!! Huge congratulations to Murray and good luck with his book!!! Thanks for the link and the intro, see you soon! Take care
x

Carolyn Abiad said...

I knew the title rang a bell! Saw it someplace on Facebook and I do plan to read it soon. I'm dragging myself through another book at the moment.

Lydia Kang said...

What a writer's journey! The book looks great. Thanks Leigh!

Unknown said...

Sounds like an interesting book and and interesting man! Have fun in the cave.

Myne said...

Wow, that is such an amazing testimony!

Jolene Perry said...

It's been a while since I've been here, and I forgot what a happy place you blog is!

This is SO going on my goodreads stack.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

wow, his story sounds amazing. What a fantastic accomplishment.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Leigh .. good for Murray that he's healing .. and I'm so pleased he's still writing .. his book is on my to be bought list .. I love these kind of inspiring stories and the fortitude and strength of people, who lie behind and give so much support .. thanks Hilary

PK HREZO said...

I shall add it to my TBR list! Sounds great. I just finished reading The Glass Castle. Have you read it?? OMGosh, it's so so good! I cried twice.

Stina said...

Wow, it must be a great book if you poked your head out of the revision cave to tell us. :D

Janet Johnson said...

Thanks for the suggestion! And wow, it sounds like he's been through a lot! Amazing how the brain works. But good for him for moving forward in such a hard thing.

Unknown said...

Wow, what a story. I haven't heard of him before but now I'm going to check out the links. Thanks for the heads up.

Angela said...

This looks great. Hope the revising is going well.

Anonymous said...

Intriguing cover and title! Will definitely check out.

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

Wow, awesome! This isn't the genre I normally read, but I'm putting it on my list! :)

Anonymous said...

That's an amazing story! Best wishes to Murray Dunlap and is success with Bastard Blue!

Anita Grace Howard said...

What an amazing story! And I love southern spiced fiction. I'm off to read his website! Thanks for the heads up, Leigh. :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds terrific - thanks for the tip :)

LTM said...

@Liz, Stephen & Anita--you bet. Murray's such a sweet person, and he has an amazing gift for voice. You'd never know all the trouble he's seen reading his stuff, but when you do, it adds such depth... it's awesome. :o)

@Hilary--I don't think this is actually "Murray's story." But it's still a great one. And his background just makes it better. I think you'll like it! :o)

@PK--YES!!! My book club read The Glass Castle in Feb, and it was amazing. It was tough, but it was sooo good. Half-Broke Horses is the prequel-sequel, fyi. Good stuff~ :o) <3

LTM said...

@Murray--no worries, my friend! I hope it helped/helps! All best~ :o)